Reynolds Mansion Conservatory
Historic Metal Restoration & Reconstruction
The Reynolds Mansion’s last private owner was tobacco heir R.J. Reynolds Jr., who purchased Sapelo Island in its entirety in 1934. The island was then used for agricultural research and as a family retreat. Reynolds later went on to fund salt marsh and other ecological research on the island and the site played an important part in the early ecology movement in the United States.
The Reynolds Mansion as it exists today was largely built by Thomas Coffin circa 1912 on the ruins of a plantation home that dated to the early 1800s. The Reynolds family used the mansion as a retreat for 30 years.
SCP Officer Eric Davenport was brought in initially as a consultant for the greenhouse restoration at the Reynolds mansion to help plan the restoration of several of the elements of the project. He has played a key role in refining the scope of the work to help the owner reduce the cost of the project and improve its preservation ethic. Once general contractor Dabbs-Williams began the restoration, Eric performed the inspection and finish work for the greenhouse frame prior to the installation of its new glass.
Working on Sapelo Island is a challenge since all materials must come to the island by barge. We encountered this in a previous renovation of Reynolds-era agricultural apartments on Sapelo Island. That work was done for the University of Georgia.
Masonry Restoration & Reconstruction